Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Kitchen Necessities According to Me

I love my kitchen. It is the one area of my life that is organized and complete. Here are some of the things that I just couldn't cook without...

Cookbook Stand

http://www.target.com/ $15.49
I love to cook from cookbooks- and even when I don't have one in use- there is always a cookbook in my cookbook stand, opened to a beautiful picture of a food I wish I was eating.
http://www.amazon.com/ $23.07
My favorite cookbook book for the gorgeous photos is from Williams Sonoma, Bride and Groom Cookbook.


Cookbooks
I think cookbooks are best ON DISPLAY. I love my cookbook collection and I like for it to be in full view. Don't hide them away in a cabinet or drawer...show them off! You'll be more likely to open one up and use it if it's easily accesible.

Recipe Cards
One of my favorite things to do is sit at my grandma's house and read through her cookbooks. I always keep a stash of recipe cards. (and I give them away alot because they make great gifts)

MONOGRAMMED RECIPE CARDS IN SUNSHINE, $80; dabneyleeathome.com

I often buy up recipe cards at Michael's. They usually have a great selection in their dollar section. It's especially thoughtful too--next time you make a dish for someone else, attach the recipe to it!

Your Laptop

I usually have the laptop on the kitchen island while I'm cooking.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/ is my go-to guide for Paula Deen advice, substitution ideas and basic food boredom.  It's amazing the recipes you can find when you google the ingredients you DO have on hand.  HINT: make a folder or bookmark  your food finds- eventually you'll have enough to print up your own online collection!

 
Electric Tea Kettle
I don't know how I ever lived without this little machine. "Faster than a Microwave!" it said on the box.  I'm really not sure why more Americans don't have electric kettles in their kitchens. It's our most used appliance. I use it for my one cup of instant coffee every morning, my husband drinks his hot brews of PG Tips all day long, and boiling water for pasta/cooking has never been faster! I just boil it up in my kettle, pour into the pot and in seconds I have rolling boiling water ready to go!


Really Good Knives

I have a set I found a Dillard's a few years ago, DENMARK brand. Want to know why I chose that set over all the others?
They had a special knife just for TOMATOES. And I don't regret it. It's been a great set!

Organized Spice Shelf
 People that know me are surprised to see my spice cabinet. Because I'm really not that organized of a person- but I'm proud of my spice collection and I need to be able to find what I'm looking for. I have both kinds- my stainless steel collection of dried spices like the one below- and in my cabinet I use the plastic shelves (above) to organize my other jars and containers. Some of my spice jars are quite small so this rack really makes the most of your space and shows off your collection beautifully.


 
Kitchen Timer

This little item is a life saver.
My microwave and oven timers are okay- but they aren't as easy to use as this.  I use it EVERY time I cook.
(it's also portable for use in the timeout corner!)


Pampered Chef Chopper

http://www.pamperedchef.com/ Chopper $31
I hate to chop onions- it makes me cry! And chopping carrots- DANGEROUS!! Just bluntly cut whatever it is you are needing to chop- then a few pushes of this chopper- it's finely chopped TEAR FREE.  And so easy to clean- it comes apart in 3 easy to rinse off pieces.
I love how fine I can chop veggies, especially peppers and onions before I saute them.
(Target also sells a great version of this product for a little bit cheaper)

Tea Spoon Rest

I found this for my tea drinking hubby in  a little shop in Galveston.  His is in the shape of a little tea kettle- but I love the idea of it. Nothing is grosser than that spoon stuck to the counter next to the coffee pot. This gives your little spoon a little home. I found lots of versions of this item online. Makes a great little gift!

 
Measuring Spoons and Cups to LOVE
We got these Anthropologie spoons and cups for a wedding gift and I love to use them. They make baking that much more fun. They are beautiful and functional- and make me way happier than Pyrex.

http://www.anthropologie.com/  $28

http://www.anthropologie.com/ $18

Vegetable Steamer

 

This is a great appliace to have. My BFF, Jenny, bought me mine years ago and I use it all the time. It's really handy for that bag of fresh baby carrots you'd like to turn into supper- or a bag of frozen corn on the cob you'd like perfectly steamed.  I hate cooking frozen veggies in a pot because you have to watch them so closely. (Nothing stinks worse that scaulded brocolli) With a steamer you add water, crank the timer, and forget it! Dinner is done at the DING!
Many of these also have a rice steaming feature-I've never used that part of it because I only buy frozen rice...but that's another blog altogether!

http://www.tupperware.com/ MICROSTEAMER $29.50
This nifty micro steamer can be used for veggies or meat. You put the raw food in the pink tray, some water in the bottom gray tray- then MICROWAVE.
Can you tell I'm a fan of Tupperware?  If you are cooking for just one (or two) this is a quick way to turn a frozen chicken breast and some veggies into a meal.
The new model of this is even cuter- it's Pink and White!


Mixing Bowls in Many Sizes
Multi-colored Melamine Bowl Set
http://www.seltzerstudios.com/ $40
My Mimi gave us these bowls for a wedding gift and I LOVE them. I use them for dips, chips, mixing while I cook- there is a size for every need!

Several cutting boards

You need several cutting boards in your kitchen because while you're cooking you don't want to worry about washing up or spreading germs.
Wooden boards are for veggies and bread- as you should never cut raw meat on them. Some synthetic/plastic boards should be reserved for your yucky raw chicken- especially since they can safely go into the dishwasher for sterilization.
 
Good Tupperware
http://www.tupperware.com/

These are my favorite pieces of Tupperware. They even go right into the microwave-lid on because they self vent themselves.  They also do great straight from freezer to microwave.

Tervis tumblers

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/
12oz set of 4 $35.99
16 oz set of 4 $39.99
Best drinkware ever invented! What a perfect investment for your kitchen. Get rid of those heavy glasses, and junky plastic cups and get a set of these in your cabinet!
I love how your ice stays frozen forever and there's never any condensation on the outside.
Genius!

Wine Glasses



$29.99

I am QUEEN of breaking wine glasses. But you have to have them- so I recommend having LOTS of them! I have my expensive few favorites (but I don't discriminate- I break those too!) So when I have people over I get out the case! If they get broken...oh well. There's more!!

MY TREASURES
Sugar Jar/spoon


I had an old sugar jar like this that my mom decided the top was the special part- so we used the lid and the spoon and put it on top of an old whiskey glass and it's the PRETTIEST sugar bowl. I wont even polish it because I love the rustic look of it.
I challenge you to find family heirlooms/treasures and put them to use! Everything in your kitchen doesn't have to be matchy matchy.

Jars and Canisters


I have a mix of practical and priceless containers in use in my kitchen. I think it gives a timeless look and I love that some of my grandmothers pretties are used and on display in my kitchen every single day.

My Vintage Tupperware Cookie Container


When my Mamaw Johnnie passed away I asked for one thing...her lime Tupperware container!! I had such wonderful memories of her keeping a mix of cookies in there.
The cookie tradition lives on...in that LIME retro Tupperware!
It's one of my prized possesions.

Toothpick holder
I have an antique crystal toothpick holder (that lives in my spice rack) and it's so pretty. I even brought it out last week at a party and let it sit next to the crockpot of meatballs!


The "Good" Stuff
I feel passionate about this. What are you saving your "good" stuff for? When your old? When royalty visits your house? GET IT OUT! Those wedding gifts are to USE-not to be stored away in cabinets and boxes. Use them and enjoy them!

-Jamie
If you have some kitchen must have's that my kitchen is missing- I'd love to hear about them!





5 comments:

  1. Those Anthropologie measuring cups are too cute!

    I am a fan of mixing bowls as well.

    I think it's time I purchase a recipe holder. Don't know why it never occurred to me before. I'm constantly looking for my recipe (usually a piece of paper) while cooking/baking. As I move from one counter top to another, or as I am getting another ingredient out, I am always losing the recipe. Or I put a cookie sheet or empty bag of flour on top of it. Wow, this has turned on a major light bulb in my head...and I feel like an airhead for it not clicking sooner. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED your list! But you forgot 2 must haves!!!!
    First-an electric rice cooker. Mine has a delay timer so I can start it whenever I have a free second to throw the rice and water in and it's always ready just in time for dinner. It also steams veggies.
    Second-a palm peeler. I came across mine in a cute kitchen shop in Charleston and LOVE it. Makes peeling veggies so much easier.
    I notice you left stand mixers off your list and also crock pots. I'm assuming they are just a given in any kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Arria-
    I almost put my stand mixer on there- I had a Red KitchenAid that I adore. And the rice steamer is a great gadget- but I buy steamable frozen rice because I'm a brat and HATE to cook rice.
    I also could not cook without my peeler- it's one of those things that you think surely everyone has- but you're right- THEY DON'T. My mother and my mother-in-law don't have vegetable peelers! Think I know what they're getting for Mother's Day!
    @Elise-
    YEA for lightbulbs- mine flickers all the time! Send me a pic of what you end up purchasing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ***I meant HAVE, I HAVE a Red KitchenAID mixer.haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only two little additions to your kitchen must-haves: bamboo spoons and a ring holder. Bamboo spoons are the perfect cooking utensils, last forever (way longer than wooden spoons)and don't scratch your non stick pots & pans! And a beautiful ring holder to set on your kitchen window to hold your rings while you cook and clean. Don't you dare make meatballs with your rings on! (I love you Paula Deen, but that just freaks me out)
    Also I think one of your blogs should be "Spices: What's in Your Rack?" Tell us what you use and like and why... :) FUN!

    ReplyDelete