Monday, February 28, 2011

A Well Stocked Pantry- A few of my favorite things...

You can't be a fabulous cook if you don't have what you need to make your dishes. Here are some staples to keep on hand so that you are never left unprepared...or HUNGRY!!

Canned Tomatoes
My favorite to cook with are SLICED TOMATOES. They are sometimes hard to find, but to me they have the best texture and taste in cooking. They seem to be the "freshest" of the canned.

Bay Leaves
I like to keep my bay leaves in an old Mason canning jar. I think it looks pretty.

Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
Either will do. Kosher salt is fun to add to your cooking with your fingers- you can keep it in a little dish to use- like they do on the cooking shows because it is coarse.
Sea salt is fine enough to go into your salt shakers.

Pepper Mill
I used to never like pepper- but fresh pepper can really add to your dishes. I never buy the canned stuff anymore.
Well Stocked Spice rack
The prestocked ones you can buy are fun...then you can refill them as you go.  I love the self serve spices at HEB. I challenge you to buy some small baggies of different spices to add to your cooking- such as Smoked Paprika or special blends that they carry. A baggie of a new spice usually only costs around 40 cents. (This is way better than a $7 jar of something you might never cook with.)  Experiment!

Chicken Stock cubes
 
This my favorite kind- but there are so many different varieties I don't think you can go wrong. These are really large and soft, so they dissolve quickly.
Knorr Chicken & Tomato granules
This stuff is awesome. I add it to soups, sauces, potatoes, ANYTHING.  If you are cooking something and you think it's a little bland, and salt just won't do- sprinke some of this in. It also gives soups a nice, rich red color.

Bisto
 
Ahhhh, Bisto.  Found in your International British food section (HEB). I'm addicted to this stuff. I don't use it as directed (and my sweet mother-in-law brings it over to me from England) but it will MAKE your crock pot roast.  I cook my roast all day in it's own juices (and the onions of course) and the last 30 minutes of cooking- I sprinkle about 3/4 cup of instant Bisto in- makes the perfect saucy gravy.  NO neeed to make anything extra and no one ever has to know!  :) It also keeps you from having to salt your roast. There is a low sodium version of Bisto that I really prefer.
Minced Garlic
I wish I was the kind of cook that kept fresh garlic on hand, but I'm not-- So I recommend having this in your fridge. It's as fresh as I get.

Jar of curry sauce
 
This is the best quick meal. Keep this on hand. If you have never tried a curry- I recommend your first being a Tikka Masala or a Butter Chicken.  Just brown your chicken, add the sauce- and serve over rice.  It's really good! My hubby's favorite is Korma (its a yellow coconut sauce).  Our pantry always has a jar on hand. (don't forget the frozen samosas to pop in the oven!) HEB has their own brand of veggie ones that we always eat with our curries- they are like Indian empanadas. YUM.
We also keep Naan bread on hand. I love the garlic flavor. Target has a yummy Archer Farms brand or you can get the above brand in the deli section of most supermarkets.
Chocolate Cake Mix
You never know when an emergency will arise. You best have some cupcake mix on hand!  :) ICING TOO!  :) oh and don't forget the bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips and almond bark....

Jiffy Cornbread Mix

A must have for corn casseroles and pots of beans. It's 40 cents a box- keep a few on hand!
Sometimes I make a batch in cupcake tins because it's a nice treat for breakfast. Can't beat a sweet corn muffin with butter. These little muffins also go great with soups!

Pasta
I keep different shapes and flavors on hand.  It makes spaghetti night or a simple soup more festive when you have a variety of pasta to choose from. I've really been into THICK pastas lately. Oh, and whole grain. I feel guilty enough about eating carbs, at least make them high in fiber!
(Try ORZO, if you've never had it before. It's a pasta that looks like a fat rice.)

Olives
Green ones in the fridge and Black ones in the pantry. We are an olive eating family. Sometimes I even splurge and buy almond stuffed or cheese stuffed green olives.  My in laws especially love olives so we tend to buy more when we know they are coming to visit. The fresh section where you can mix your own is also fun to do when you are entertaining.  It's also nice to have canned on hand because it's so easy to throw together a last minute relish tray (pickles, olives, etc.).

Cream of Mushroom soup (condensed)
The heart of southern cooking.  I mean- there was a time in my life when I actually didn't know how to make a dish that DIDN'T include Cream of Mushroom soup!  You must keep this in stock. Chicken, celery, mushroom, garlic chicken...it really doesn't matter the flavor. JUST HAVE THEM.  Because you never know when a Tator Tot casserole will be the only dish that you have the energy to make. I mean- I even add it to my crockpot of queso!
I also actually LOVE to make Cream of Mushroom soup and oyster crackers for lunch.  I add milk when I cook it and it makes me happy.  :)

Tomato Soup (condensed)
If you are a member, or extended memeber of my family- I have probably served you Tomato and Noodle Soup at some point. Our kids eat it, it stays premade in our fridge. It could have any type of pasta in it- but my favorite are egg noodles.  It's a staple in this house and is best served with a hot GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH.  My sister too- we're addicted. Probably because we grew up eating it so much! Thanks MOM!  :)
oh- Make it with MILK and BUTTER. NEVER WATER.  :) add the cooked noodles, and serve.

Ranch, Italian , and Onion soup mix packets

Makes potatoes happy and also a last minute DIP (if you add sourcream). I always have one (or all) on hand.

Panko Japanese bread crumbs
This stuff is amazing. If you ever cook with it, or make chicken fried steak with it- you'll never use anything else ever again.  It ACTUALLY STICKS to what you are breading. It's great for frying and baking.
(it's also the yummy crunchy stuff that they put on top of sushi)

Peanut Butter
I LOVE PB. There are two kinds that have my heart. My first pick (not the healthiest) is Reduced Fat Peter Pan.  It's a little sweeter than regular fat peanut butter.
My second is fresh made peanut butter we grind at the store. I always sweeten it with a tiny bit of Agave nectar.  Gianna likes to use the machine and it makes a much healthier version. A small tub of it will only run you around $2, often cheaper than a prepackaged jar.
 There's something refreshing about knowing the only thing in your peanut butter is...um..peanuts.

Tuna

I really like tuna packed in oil, but usually don't want to waste the calories on it.

Honey
It's best to eat local honey.  I always try and buy the brand that's from the closest town I can find.
Spaghetti Sauce

I always keep a couple jars of pasta sauce on hand.

This is my favorite but I rarely splurge on it. It's delish!!

Lemon/Lime juice

I prefer lime to lemon.....and fresh is always better than prejuiced, but it's handy to have on hand.
Vanilla extract

You just about can't bake without it. (and I like to add a little splash to my milkshakes)
Cupcake Liners
Cupcakes, cornbread, cheesecakes, muffins- you need to have these! The cuter the better!
I also think the foil ones are really pretty.

Evaporated Milk

Like Jenny says, you never know when you might run outta milk! In Mexico this is the only milk they serve for coffee creamer. Yum yum. I've also been known to put it in my mashed potatoes!

Ketchup

I buy ketchup with no high fructose corn syrup. That junk is in everything, I know- but as much ketchup as this household consumes....it helps.  HEB has a great storebrand version of this.

Vinegar

My favorite is rice vinegar, but any kind will do. 
Wanna know a trick? Have a recipe calling for buttermilk? Splash a little vinegar into regular milk.
Voila.

Sugar/ Sugar Substitute


Okay, right?? That last picture does NOT belong with the other two. I KNOW!
Read Skinny Bitch and you'll forever have issues with sweeteners.
This is what is in my pantry...I'm not gonna preach to you. I serve the saccahrin to company....haha. 

Teas...
    PG Tips for him               Lemon Zinger for me
(and don't tell my hubby this, but that PG Tips makes a great pitcher of Iced Tea)
Non-Stick Cooking spray

Salsa

Because you can't make nachos without it.

Soy/ Worcestershire Sauce
A bottle of soy sauce will last me for YEARS! But you need these types of sauces to cook with. :) So buy 'em every five years or so and when they appear in a recipe you can feel like super chef.

Canned Veggies
My first choice is fresh or frozen veggies, but I always have a can of corn, green beans, peas, and carrots in my pantry.  I'm one of those mean Mommies that makes my child eat vegetables quite a bit- and even on Mac 'n Cheese night- she gets to choose what veggie we mix into her pasta.  Canned veggies are kid friendly and a must have.

Canned and Dried Beans
RINSE FIRST before using! (except baked beans and flavored beans)
I love beans. Black beans are my favorite- I love to mix them into scrambled eggs, add to chicken for tacos, mix with salsa....it goes on and on.
My husband loves baked beans and toast- and also likes baked beans in his jacket potato (aka, Baked Potato) heehee.
Black-eyed peas, Pinto Beans, Ranch Style beans.....always a nice side to any dinner.

Ranch

Never Fat Free...and never store brand.
I can't eat salad or pizza without it!!

Crackers
Soda crackers, Wheat Thins, Cheez It's, YUM....perfect for snacks, dips, soups. You need them!

Red Hot.....or Tabasco Sauce

Because you can't make a good Chicken Spaghetti without a half a jar of this stuff!!

Country Gravy Mix
For breakfast (biscuits and gravy), lunch or dinner. I always have an instant package on hand.

Mayonaise and Miracle Whip
     
I love both equally.
And NEVER fat free....that's just gross.

Olive Oil

 Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
Good luck, I still can't figure this part of the grocery store out.
I eventually get mad and just pick one!!

RICE

Okay- this is for you people that are gonna message me that I forgot rice (Arria) heehee- I have given up on rice. I buy it frozen now, so it no longer has a home in my pantry. I know that is wrong on many levels but I HATE to cook rice.
However, I love to eat rice and I like it even more when it takes 4 minutes to steam perfectly in my microwave.

Pickles
My favorite is baby KOSHER DILLS.  You can get just kosher or just dill...but look for the one that's called both because THAT is a good pickle.  Bread and butter and gerkins are good too for relish trays...but not really for just plain old eating them.

Mama Johnnie Pickles:
  Take a jar of sliced Hamburger Pickles, and drain off all the juice.  Fill the jar with sugar so that all the pickles are covered. Give 'em a shake daily for about a week in your fridge.  New juice will form and in a week you will have some delicious Sweet Pickles that you can tell everyone you made! YUM!


I hope that you take pride in having a well stocked pantry...if you have the basics, you can pick up nearly any cookbook and get right to work!

-Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment